For current photos of most of these buildings, please visit “Present Times” at the top, then click on “Fairbridge Village – Recent”


Belfast

Constructed 1921. One of the 5 original cottages. A two-storey timber-framed and weatherboard structure used as a girl’s cottage. Was in full use until the second world war but closed during the 1950’s due to lack of numbers at the farm. Re-opened in the early 1960’s. Named after John Cook, who arrived in the colonies from Ulster, in 1874..

Church

Constructed 1930. Church of the Holy Innocents build from funds donated by Mr Thomas Wall. Dedicated in 1931 by the Bishop of Bunbury. The Church is built on the original site of the old stables and tank stand. Designed by Sir Henry Baker. Then as is now, probably the most distinctive building icon of Fairbridge.

The Clubhouse

Constructed 1932. The Old Fairbridgian’s Clubhouse was purposely built for OF’s returning to the Farm for holidays, when sick, or between jobs. The building was opened in 1933. After WW2, cubicles were removed in the east wing to make way for a movie theatre. That section later used as the OFA Museum. The building has been undergoing extensive renovations throughout 2005 through 2007 to not only repair the building but also to restore many of the original features.

Clive

Constructed 1921. One of the 5 original cottages. A two-storey structure used as a girl’s cottage. Named after Robert Clive (Baron Clive of Plassey), 18th century British soldier and administrator in India.

Cook

Constructed 1927. Named after Captain James Cook, English navigator and cartographer of the 18th century. Single-storey cottage for boys used as such both pre and post war.

Dairy

Constructed in 1951 and was still in use up until at least the mid-late 1960’s.

Darwin

Constructed 1923. Named after Charles Robert Darwin, British naturalist of the 19th century. Single-storey cottage for boys both pre and post war.

Dining Hall/Kitchen

Construction commenced 1921. The original kitchen constructed in pise walls and shingled roof but was later completely demolished. The dining hall section which was constructed in 1928 had a scullery added in 1938, and the main kitchen was re-built in 1970’s.

Domestic Science Centre

Constructed 1935. Originally used as a training centre for senior girls prior to going out to first employment. Post-war was used by W.A. Education Department, and Pinjarra High School students were daily bussed into Fairbridge for lessons. Demolished in the early 1970’s The construction of the building was financed by Lord de Saumarez.

Elizabeth

New cottage situated behind Exeter near the site of the original staff quarters. Constructed 2006 and named after Kingsley & Ruby Fairbridge’s second daughter Elizabeth. Officially opened on Founder’s Day 2006. Used as caretaker’s residence.

Elliott’s Nest

The name was adopted by the Elliott family, caretakers of Fairbridge post-closure. This building used to be the school Headmaster’s house. See “Headmaster’s House”.

Evelyn

Constructed 1935. Named after Evelyn Saumarez, sister of Lord de Saumarez who financed the construction of Saumarez Cottage, the Domestic Science Building, and Evelyn Cottage, Used to house the Matron, Miss Hilda Fraser, and her assistant Mrs Goodman and for a time Miss Lutey who worked in the office. Later the new Matron, Mrs Bettina Fry, moved in and the upper level was used as a clothes storage area. The cottage had extensive roof renovations in 2005 & 2006.

Exeter

Constructed 1921. Initial use was Office/Gatehouse then later used as Assistant Principal’s residence. Located across the main road from the Store, the building was later used as the Farm Manager’s home. The building was lovingly renovated but destroyed by fire in 2004. It has since been rebuilt. This is where the Fairbridge W.A. HQ is now, plus their fabulous cafe and shop. Exeter was the College at Oxford University that Kingsley Fairbridge attended in the mid-late 1900’s and where he received his Rhodes Scholarship.

Fairbridge House

Constructed 1922. Built as the family home for Kingsley Fairbridge Unique pise (rammed earth) construction of the ground floor is the only one of its type on the site. After 1924 was known as the Guest House boasting many notable visitors including the late Queen Mother when she was Duchess of York. Later used as the Principal’s residence.

Farm Manager’s Cottage

Build circa 1948 – the original building at this location on a site plan was dated 1948. However the current cottage occupied by the farm manager appears to have been more recently built and it is assumed that the original building was removed or demolished.

Forrest

Constructed 1927. Named after Sir John Forrest; explorer, first Premier of Western Australia and federal parliamentarian. Used as a boy’s cottage both pre and post war. During the 1990’s restoration was converted into three self-contained flats.

Gardener’s Cottage

Constructed circa 1928. Located south-east (ish) of the Church and close to the old market gardens. Occupied by the Market Gardener and his family until closure. These days stables etc have been added next to the cottage and combined structure used as headquarters for Riding for the Disabled Group.

Gilchrist Rectory

Constructed 1928. Occupied the Chaplain and his family. Prior to the Old Fairbridgians’ Clubhouse being built many visiting OF’s camped on the Rectory verandah. Later used as A school teacher residence. Demolished in the late 1960’s. Named after the Gilchrist Education Trust who pledged three hundred pounds per year towards the cost of a resident Chaplain.

Glasgow

Constructed 1923. Single-storey boy’s cottage during both the pre and post war periods. Named after the Glasgow Rotary Club, benefactors to the Society.

Haig

Constructed 1927. Named after 1st Earl Douglas Haig, British WW1 commander. Used as a boy’s cottage both pre and post war. Situated on Harvey Road between Livingstone and Newton, it was demolished in the early 1970’s with the boys then being moved across to Hudson.

Heath

Constructed 1928. Named after Colonel Sidney John Heath, Fairbridge Principal from May 1928 to June 1936. This was the original Principal’s residence then later became the After-Care Officer’s house. In 2005 this building was extensively renovated.

Headmaster’s House

Constructed in 1928. During the period 1931 to 1936 it was described as the Farm Manager’s residence. In 1948 it became the Headmaster’s House. Located near the school. After closure became the caretaker’s residence (George Elliot), thus, “Elliott’s Nest” (see Elliot’s Nest entry).

Hudson

Constructed 1923. Single-storey boy’s cottage both pre and post war. Originally called ” Henry Hudson” and named after Henry Hudson, 17th century English explorer of Canada (hence “Hudson Bay” etc).

Jenner

Constructed 1923. Named after Edward Jenner, 18th century British physician famed for developing the smallpox vaccine. Originally used as a boy’s cottage, then post-war for married staff members. This is a small building down near the primary school.

Kitchener

Constructed 1927. Single-storey cottage for boys both pre and post war. Named after 1st Earl Horatio Herbert Kitchener (of Khartoum) British Field Marshal 18th & 19th centuries.

The Laundry

Original construction in the 1920’s, the current structure cement and brick building was erected in 1938. Laundry used for cottage linen and clothes at the Farm School, and as a training centre for girls prior to leaving for their first employment. Lord Nuffield donated five thousand pounds for the construction.

Lawley

Constructed 1927. Single-storey boy’s cottage. Named after Sir Arthur Lawley, Governor of Western Australia, 1901-1902 and long time friend and benefactor to Fairbridge. It is interesting to note that Sir Arthur Lawley wrote the epilogue that was included in the early edition(s) of Kingsley Fairbridge’s book.

Lister

Constructed 1923. Named after Joseph Lister, British surgeon of 19th & 20th centuries famed for medical antiseptic procedures. Originally used as a boy’s cottage, then post-war for married staff members. This is another small building down near the primary school.

Livingstone

Constructed 1927. Named after David Livingstone, Scottish missionary and explorer of Africa. Single-storey cottage use as a boy’s cottage pre and post war and then as an infant’s residence in the early 1960’s.

One of the original bunk-houses that was located at Mandurah Camp. This was apparently left sitting on someone’s property for years and they eventually contacted Fairbridge and offered the building. The building has been undergoing extensive re-fitting through 2006 -2007 and has been connected to the replica cottage “Rosa Nobes” by a wooden walkway. It is located behind Exeter.

Mandurah Camp Bunk-House

One of the original bunk-houses that was located at Mandurah Camp. This was apparently left sitting on someone’s property for years and they eventually contacted Fairbridge and offered the building. The building has been undergoing extensive re-fitting through 2006 -2007 and has been connected to the replica cottage “Rosa Nobes” by a wooden walkway. It is located behind Exeter.

The Memorial Colonnade

Constructed 1963. Financed by the Old Fairbridgians’ Society, the Colonnade was build in honour of Fairbridgians who made the ultimate sacrifice during war. It includes plaques listing the names all those Old Fairbridgians who died in war; one dedicated to the Women’s Land Army Girls who trained at Fairbridge from July 1943 to September 1945; and for the crew of the HMAS Formidable who assisted in the repatriation of a number of Fairbridgians after the war. An ANZAC memorial service is held here on the Sunday following each ANZAC Day each year. The Colonnade is located on the main road just before entering the village.

The Memorial Wall

Constructed 1996. The memorial wall and gardens are maintained to enable the families and friends of Old Fairbridgians to scatter their loved one’s ashes or place a plaque on the wall. This is adjacent and to the left of the Church.

Middlemore

Constructed 1932. Possibly named after Middlemore Homes, which were homes set up in the UK to take in orphaned or homeless children early in the twentieth century. This cottage was used to house older girls pre-war, left vacant post war when numbers were down, and was residence for the House Master’s and family in the early 1960’s.

Nelson

Constructed 1923. Single-storey cottage for boys used as such both pre and post war. Named after Viscount Horatio Nelson, British Admiral.

Newton

Constructed 1923. Named after Sir Isaac Newton, 17th/18th century British physicist and mathematician. Used as a boy’s cottage pre war and post war as quarters for married staff.

Nightingale

Constructed 1930. The Hospital. Named after Florence Nightingale, British hospital reformer and founder of the nursing profession, famed for her work in the Crimean war. The building housed two four-bed wards (one for boys, one for girls) an outpatients area, and the Nursing Sister’s quarters. The Victoria League donated the beds and other furnishings. After being quite run-down for many years, Nightingale, in 2006 – 2007, is being renovated and re-fitted.

Noah’s Ark Pavilion

This is the sports ground change rooms and ablutions block situated at the Exeter end of the oval. Constructed 1966.

Fairbridge Office

Constructed 1934. This was a purpose build administration office located between the main dining room and Belfast. This building freed up Exeter for staff accommodation. The office provided postal and banking services and housed Farm records until they were moved to the Battye Library for safe-keeping.

Oxford

Constructed 1928. Named after the English University that Kingsley Fairbridge attended and wherein the Fairbridge Society was established in 1909. Was originally the Dairyman’s house and in the post-war used by the Engineer and his family.

The Power House

Constructed 1938.

The Pump House

Constructed in the 1920’s, the purpose was to pump water from the South Dandalup River to provide all domestic water needs including the cottages, the orchard and the vegetable gardens.

Raleigh

Constructed 1923. A single-storey boy’s cottage used as such both pre and post war. Named after Sir Walter Raleigh, British explorer and writer, and introducer of potatoes and tobacco.

The Refrigerator Room

Construction date unknown but was extended in 1938, the building and adjoining room was the butcher’s shop. Now converted into a laundry and storage area.

Rhodes

Constructed 1927. Used as a boy’s cottage both pre and post war. Named after Cecil John Rhodes, 19th/20th century South African financier, statesman and of course his “Rhodes Scholarship” endowment. The Fairbridge family knew Cecil Rhodes when Kingsley was a young boy living in Africa. Kingsley & Ruby’s first son was called Rhodes, perhaps after Cecil.

Rosa Nobes

This is a replica of an original single-story cottage and is situated between Exeter and Elizabeth, and adjacent to and connected to the Mandurah Camp bunkhouse. The construction of this building is a dream come true for Old Fairbridge Boy, John Lane, who has partially funded the construction out of his own pocket and his he named the cottage in honour of one of his English pre-emigration foster mother whom he describes as the only real mother he ever had. Officially opened on 18th December, 2007.

Ruby Fairbridge Centre

In the early stages of construction in 2007. This is situated down near the school, between the school and the engineering building. At the time of this entry, the purpose of the building is not known.

Saumarez

Constructed 1935. Splendid structure that sits next to Evelyn on the main road. Named after Evelyn Saumarez the late sister of Lord de Saumarez, a former Chairman and benefactor to the Society. Used to house senior and trainee girls prior to them going out to work. Post war the cottage remained empty due to lack of numbers except for a short period in 1951 when girls moved into Saumarez whilst their own cottages were renovated.

The School

Constructed 1922 & 1928. Seven classrooms were built with plans for an eighth. The school was staffed by the W.A. State Education Department. Cottage Mothers were encouraged to send their children to school. Five classrooms remain including Classroom 2 – The Healy Room (named after former headmaster Mr Edward Stanley Healy) and Classroom 4 – The David Buck Training Room (named after old Fairbridgian, David Buck). The school was closed in 1979.

Scratton Lodge

Constructed 1935. Named after Sir Arthur Scratton, private benefactor to the Society. The cost of this building was borne by his widow, May Scratton. The building provided accommodation for 32 trainee boys aged 14 years and over. Each boy was responsible for his own cubicle. Was supervised by the Cottage Master and Cottage Mother. Post war was used by female staff including state school teachers and Old Girls returning due to holidays, ill-health or job loss. The clock was a gift of Major General Sir Howard Vyse who was Chief of Staff to HRH Duke of Gloucester when visiting Australia.

Shakespeare

Constructed 1921. One of the 5 original cottages. Two-storey, timber-framed and weatherboard. Kingsley Fairbridge and his family lived in Shakespeare until Fairbridge House was built. For a short time Shakespeare was used as a mixed cottage, then became for girls only. Named after The Bard – William Shakespeare.

The Stables

Build circa 1943. Located between the school and the workshops this area was used in the 1990’s as a touch farm for young children. Unroofed during a storm during 2003, the area was declared unsafe for use.

The Staff Dining Room and Kitchen

Constructed 1938. Used for all staff meals and also by any OF who happened to be staying on the Farm. The staff library was also housed in the building.

The Store

Constructed 1921 and extended in 1923. Used to dispense grocery stores to the cottages, petrol and kerosene and a place for children to spend their pocket money. The verandah and room on the east side were part of the 1923 extensions. One petrol bowser missing since the 1990’s.

The Teachers Quarters

Situated behind Exeter, near Wellington Cottage, and was demolished in 1970. Housed male teachers from the primary school.

The Technical Buildings

Construction commenced in 1928. Initially used as Manual Training & Metalwork shop for senior boys for training, and maintenance staff. Now solely used as a maintenance workshop.

Warren Hastings

Constructed 1921. One of the 5 original cottages. Structured same as Belfast. Used as a girl’s cottage both pre and post war. Destroyed by fire in 1971. Named after Warren Hastings, 18th century British administrator in India.

Wellington

Constructed in 1922 and located behind Exeter, this cottage was used to house senior boys prior to leaving for work. The building was demolished in 1934 when Scratton Memorial was build for senior boys.

Wolfe

Constructed 1921. One of the 5 original cottages. A two-storey structure always used as a girl’s cottage. Housed around 14 girls between the ages of 5 and 16 years. Sleeping quarters upstairs consisted of one large dormitory. Named after James Wolfe, 18th century British soldier who commanded the capture of Quebec. Kingsley & Ruby’s second son was called Wolfe.